There aren’t many things in this world that make me as happy as a good Amazon haul. It arrives in 2 days or less, I’ve usually gotten a killer deal, and I can get everything from my favorite toilet paper to a fly zapping salt gun.
And it’s like a second Christmas in July (hello Nordstrom Anniversary Sale) when Amazon Prime Day rolls around!
So buckle up and get ready to take some notes because I’m going to give you the quick 1-2-3 on how to shop this event like a pro!
Here are the basics:
If you haven’t experienced the magical world of an Amazon Prime membership, let me elucidate. For $119 a year (or $39 for 3 months) you get to enjoy:
- FREE Two-Day Shipping on over 100 million items
- Access to thousands of movies and TV shows with Prime Video
- Millions of songs and thousands of playlists that you can stream
- Get free Kindle e-books, unlimited photo storage, exclusive access to deals, Twitch, and much more
Plus, you can make a quick $20 in your Amazon account right away! Log in to the app for the first time using your new Prime membership and get $10 credited toward your Amazon account. Earn another $10 when you make your first purchase through the app!
SHOP MY AMAZON PRIME DAY KITCHEN DEALS
• • •
After that, there’s really only one other piece of advice I have for a Prime Day newbie: Shop with a goal in mind. One of the biggest challenges for any shopper during Prime Day is that so many products will be discounted — over a million, in fact, according to Amazon. And it’s easy to get caught up in the frenzy of “Buy! I need this! Can’t live without this one!” and forget that you don’t, in fact, have a money tree or a limitless bank account, and that you don’t actually need a vacuum that also doubles as a leaf blower…
Bottom line: don’t go down the Amazon Prime Day rabbit hole. Stick to my guide below and you can be in and out in no time!
SHOPPING THE SALE
The next two days are pretty straight forward: Amazon will have deals that run for the next 48 hours that you can take advantage of as a Prime Member. while these are killer deals, you’re also going to get access to lightning deals. Amazon posts new deals every few minutes, and many are limited-time offers, so you’ll want to know exactly when an item you were already thinking about buying goes on sale.
Lightning Deals can be super stressful. It’s so easy to miss them, but if you have the time to browse through deals in the morning, you can track upcoming Lightning Deals using the Amazon Shopping app. Click on the hamburger icon in the upper left, then Today’s Deals > Upcoming. You can click the “Watch this Deal” button on any deal that’s more than 10 minutes away to add it to your “Watching” list. The app should then notify you the moment Lightning strikes.
Also, you’ll notice that not all of the pages have the sale price listed on the right-hand side. But they do give you the % off of the item and it WILL show up when you checkout – make sure you pay attention so you don’t miss out on fabulous deals you think aren’t included in Prime Day.
And keep an eye out for those little blue “Prime Day Deal” badges like the one above. That’s how you know it’s a part of the sale and has the lowest price possible.
SHOP OUR FAVORITE KIDS SHOES
• • •
Echo Dot Kid’s Edition: I have this in the boy’s room and I love it – so do they! They have many of the same capabilities of a normal Echo Dot but customized for a kid-friendly atmosphere:
- Designed with kids in mind – They can ask Alexa to play music, hear stories, call approved friends and family, and explore a world of kid-friendly skills.
- Endless fun for kids – Includes a world of content with 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited. After 1 year, your subscription will automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99/month plus applicable tax. You may cancel any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- Kid-friendly content – FreeTime Unlimited gives you access to over 1,000 Audible books, thousands of songs, plus favorite games and skills.
- Peace of mind for parents – Set daily time limits and review activity. Plus, automatically filter explicit songs from select music services.
Echo: the main hub in our house for all of our connected Alexa-enabled devices. I keep this in my kitchen and I love that I’ve got easy access to recipes, weather, answers, and music!
- Echo connects to Alexa to play music, make calls, set music alarms and timers, ask questions, control smart home devices, and more—instantly.
- Voice Control Your Music – Ask for a song, artist, genre from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora and more. Echo can play Audible audiobooks, radio stations and more.
- Enjoy great sound – Enjoy crisp vocals and dynamic bass response with Dolby processing.
- Connect with others – Call almost anyone hands free with your Echo. Instantly drop in on other rooms in your home or make an announcement to every room with a compatible Echo device
- Do more with Alexa – Get calendar, traffic, and news updates, manage shopping lists, control compatible smart home devices with Alexa.
Kindle: I’ve extolled the virtues of the Amazon Kindle many times on IG and I wrote a whole entire blog post which was basically a big love letter to these reading-inspired tablets. They are just the best!
- The largest, highest resolution display— 7” and 300 ppi, reads like real paper without glare, even in bright sunlight.
- The first waterproof (IPX8) Kindle so you are free to read in even more places.
- Now with Audible, listen to the world’s largest library of audiobooks. Pair with Bluetooth to take the story with you anytime, anywhere.
- Enjoy twice the storage with 8 GB. Or choose 32 GB to hold more magazines, comics, newspapers, and audiobooks.
- Instant access to new releases and bestsellers, or over a million titles at $2.99 or less. Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles.
SHOP MY AMAZON DEVICE PICKS
• • •
This is totally a 2-for-1 deal. Get the Instant Pot you’ve been waiting for AND get an Echo Dot to go with it. It’s about time you had someone to tell to cook food for you. Everyone needs someone else to order around in the kitchen!
I’m not usually a fan of subscriptions unless they get a TON of use – if you’re putting money out you want to make sure it’s on something that you’re going to get a good bang for your buck! Here are 3 subscriptions that I think are totally worth it during Prime Day:
- 3 Free Months of Kindle Unlimited: If you haven’t already signed up for Kindle Unlimited, you can score your first three months of unlimited reading for free. After that it’s $10 per month and it will auto-renew so set a calendar reminder if you plan to cancel.
- 4 Months of Amazon Music for $1: This is a good opportunity to see if you like Amazon Music more than other services. I’ve also got Spotify and iTunes, but Amazon Music does work well with Alexa speakers and for $1, you can’t beat the 4 months that you’ll have access to a bunch of tunes!
- Save $30 on Annual Membership and get an Echo Dot for $0.99: Amazon has been running this deal for a few weeks, but it’s still good. Prime members can sign up for a full year of Audible for $120 and get a voucher to by an Echo Dot for a buck. If you don’t want to commit to a full year there’s also an option to get three months of Audible for $5/mo, but no Echo Dot.
You guys know I love my Dysons. In fact, I’ve written quite a few blog posts about them! They are hands-down the best vacuums on the market. I even own their hair dryer. This one is the next level up from my particular favorite – I’ve got two attached to the wall in my pantry and it makes cleaning easy for me and the kids! If I were you, I’d score one during Amazon Prime – they’re over $100 OFF and they have a great selection!
SHOP MY DYSON PICKS
• • •
This thing goes with me on every trip, I use it every night, and I don’t think my skin would be as clear or smooth without this bad boy. Not to mention, you can get different attachable heads that perform different functions. You can get one just for your under eyes, one to scrub your body, an anti-aging firming massaging head, and another just to combat acne (all an additional 30% OFF at checkout). This year’s Prime Day has the one I have for almost $100 OFF (an additional 40% OFF at checkout)! Kinda insane and totally worth the splurge.
SHOP CLARISONIC PRIME DAY SALES
• • •
Where and how to shop on Prime Day
But you don’t need to sit at your computer to shop Prime Day. For example, if you own any kind of Alexa-compatible device (like a Fire tablet or Echo smart speaker), you can ask Alexa for Prime Day deals — some of which might be exclusively available via voice purchase. The Amazon mobile app, meanwhile, will let you grab deals while you’re on the go. Snag up to 38% off your Apple favorites, up to 30% off of Adidas (including my favorite trainers), and even a dual pack of these hands-free phone mounts for your car!
Set up an Echo for Alexa Exclusive Deals
If you own an Echo device, you can set up voice purchasing. In the Alexa app on your phone, head to Settings > Accounts and select “Purchase by Voice.” Once you’re set up, just ask, “Alexa, what are my Prime Day deals?”
And don’t forget to set notifications on your app and computer! In the meantime. Check out Amazon’s Deals Page, which is updated daily. And don’t worry, I’ll be posting as many of the lightning deals that I find that are worth purchasing throughout today and tomorrow!
P.S. Let me know what you snag or have your eye on!